Skip to main content

T-Shirt Quilts

T-Shirt Quilts

I created three t-shirt quilts in memory of my mother in law Brenda Sanford.  My sister-in-law Shelly (Michelle) Sanford sent me a large box of her t-shirts.  It was pretty clear that I had enough t-shirts for several quilts.  So I sorted the t-shirts into color groups.  As it turns out, I ended up with three piles of shirts.  One of the piles was generally in the green, teal and purple family, one of the groups was in the red, white and blue family, and one of the groups was generally pink, rose and gray.

I backed each logo with fusible interfacing, then "fussy" cut each logo out using a cutting board and rotary cutter.  Each t-shirt was bordered with a complimentary fabric, to show off the colors of that t-shirt.  Then, the t-shirts were arranged in a circular pattern and background piecing was added to keep the arrangement.  I then chose a border fabric to set off and frame the circular pattern of t-shirts, and added an outside border.  My friend DeLoa Jones was the master quilter using a large long-arm quilting machine.

I then presented the quilts to Shelly and she chose which two quilts she would keep and the last was presented to my ex-husband.  He gave it back to me to keep for our child Dylan.

Below are the photos.  Here are photos of the purple/teal owned by me:







This is a close up of some of the t-shirts in Brenda's Memory Quilt above.




Brenda was an employee of the Flint, Michigan United Way.  One of her many United Way T-shirts above.


Close up of the border showing the master quilting by DeLoa Jones, above.


Border with the teal, purple and black, above, coordinating with the t-shirt borders, above.


Close up of the backing of the quilt, showing the master quilting by DeLoa Jones.




Purple and Gray Memory Quilt owned by Shelly Sanford above, in memory of Brenda Sanford.  



Red White and Blue Memory Quilt, in Memory of Brenda Sanford. Owned by Shelly Sanford.  Brenda was a huge Rat Pack fan see above concert t-shirt


I have also made a memory quilt of Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority t-shirts of mine:




From above, the borders and totality of the quilt.


Close up of some of the t-shirts and border, above.


Close up showing master quilting by DeLoa Jones of South Haven, Michigan.


Close up of border and quilting by Master Quilter DeLoa Jones of South Haven, Michigan.


Background violet fabric.  Violets are the flower of Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singer 319w Do-over

I fell upon this Singer 319 "typewriter" or "piano" sewing machine at a local estate sale.  The cabinet had been repainted into a very cool deep striated turquoise blue.  The seat, however, left much to be desired.  It was smelly but actually comfortable.  I removed the bathroom rug cover, and am in the process of adding memory foam and a custom fabric to pull all of the mid-century colors together.  It came with ALL of the cams for specialty stitches, I am so blessed to have found it.  I'm excited to start using it.  I have read that this machine was a "bust" for Singer because people thought it was too difficult to use, something I can understand, however, I think it is a cool piece.  It was the top of the line in its day, all aluminum and all metal inside.  Enjoy the photo progress.  

Singer Trapezoid Cabinet #74, original bench and Singer 301a short bed tan sewing machine

Singer Trapezoid Cabinet #74, original bench and 301 short bed machine I purchased this machine from a lady in Chicago.  She was having an estate sale for her mother who passed away in 2018.  On the last day of the sale, first thing in the morning, I drove to the home, on a Sunday.  I had emailed her about the machine when I found it on craigslist.  Because the sale was actually over that day, and the machine hadn't sold, she let me have the machine, bench and cabinet for $75.  She could tell how excited I was to have it.  She told me that she had sewed her prom dress on the machine. Here are my photos:  This is the original tan 301 above, and the original #74 trapezoid cabinet, below:

Custom LV Birkenstock’s

So my next big project in 2018 was a pair of Birkenstock’s for my friend in Australia.  Nannette has size 43 shoes; she is a tall woman.  She was in a bad car accident at 18 and has suffered problems to her feet as a result  This was exacerbated by an accident on a train platform in Australia, so comfortable shoes are a must.  And what is more comfortable, than a pair of Birkenstock’s?  But they couldn’t be just any Birki’s.  They had to be Louis Vuitton Birki’s because Nannette is an LV nut. I started with a used pair of Birkenstock’s with good platforms from eBay.  I took them to our local cobbler who deconstructed and separated the leather tops from the platform. I then used the Birki leather as a pattern.   I had an LV purse to deconstruct, but there was not enough leather for the necessary 4 straps.  I needed another 2 pieces of leather for the sides, so I shopped at my Goodwill for a red purse with gold buckles. However, upon inspecting another friend’s Birki’s, I noticed